Saturday, November 15, 2008

Wishing Stars

I wanted to get this documented somewhere so I wouldn't forget.

Back in October, a few weeks ago, (before Daylight Savings Time ended so it was dark), it was about 6:45 AM and the boys and I were in the car on the way to Grandma's house. Nate was looking out the window of the car:

Nate: "Mommy, I see a star!"
Me: "Wow, maybe you should make a wish?"
A few seconds of silence, and some quiet whispering followed. Then more silence...
Me: "Did you make a wish?"
Nate: "Yeah...it didn't work."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Nate: "It didn't fly away."
Me: "What?"
Nate: "The star didn't fly away!"

Apparently he had it in his mind that wishing stars are supposed to fly away once you wish on them. I explained to him that stars can't fly away, and reminded him in our story book the wishing star just twinkles brighter when you make a wish. Then my little scientist needed an explanation of why stars are so far away, and why we can't fly to them in a rocket ship.

No comments: